Senior Communications Manager
Posted: Mar 29, 2019
The SMG Senior Communications Manager will develop and implement a comprehensive communications and public relations program that will enhance the image of the Pennsylvania Convention Center (PCC) and its position within the meetings and events marketplace (local, national and international) and the general public. This position will also provide a broad range of marketing support to the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with the SMG General Manager and the PCCA President & CEO to identify, cultivate and articulate the PCC’s desired message, image and position… the PCC brand.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive communications and public relations program that will enhance the PCC brand and its position within the meetings and events marketplace (local, national and international) and the general public.
- Analyzes, evaluates and reports on performance and effectiveness of the communications and public relations programs and recommends corrections as necessary.
- Effectively establishes and maintains positive relationships with media, industry influencers and key community and strategic partners for the betterment of the PCC.
- Writes and distributes press releases / news stories to various and appropriate outlets and publications. Maintains current media database.
- Assists the Director of Sales & Marketing in the development and coordination of advertising and business promotion programs that support the PCC’s sales & marketing plan.
- Coordinates administration of the PCC website and reports on web traffic and analytics.
- Plans, implements and monitors the PCC’s social media strategy and platforms.
- Coordinates appearances and speaking engagements by PCCA and SMG senior leadership and assists in the development of presentations.
- Coordinate the appearance of the PCC’s print and electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures, website, etc.
- Designs, prepares, produces and distributes internal and external PCC communications and publications such as newsletters and annual reports.
- Prepares regular reports documenting the activities, milestones, achievements of the PCC.
- Remains current on trends in the industry and local market changes to best serve the PCC.
- Acts as PCC spokesperson and liaison with the general public as directed.
- Develops and recommends departmental budget.
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of third-party agencies (advertising, public relations, etc…).
- Performs other duties, special projects and responsibilities as assigned by the General Manager which may or may not be directly related to job specifications
To perform this job successfully, one must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in either Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or related field required.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years of progressively increasing responsibility in development and execution in communications and public relations programs.
- Combination of education and experience will be considered.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Skills – Knowledgeable of terminology used in arena, entertainment and convention settings. Computer literacy in word processing, data base management and page layout. Excellent people skills and enthusiastic attitude.
- Communication – Excellent oral, written and listening skills. Strong creative, strategic and analytical skills, including ability to lead, facilitate, plan and organize. Ability to make effective presentations to board level executives.
- Change Management – Accepts and adapts to change; understands that change is a constant and necessary path for involvement and growth. Questions the status quo by asking “Why?”
- Customer Focus – Dedicated to meeting expectations/requirements of internal and external customers.
- Organized – Strong organizational skills and keen attention to detail; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; effectively works under tight deadlines and manage projects independently. Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the meeting, convention and entertainment industry. Must be a self-starter.
- Problem Solving – Solves problems with effective solutions; asks good questions and probes answers; resourceful in solving problems.
- Team Player – Creates strong morale and spirit within team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; creates a feeling of belonging in the team
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays in addition to normal business hour as needed
- Must have professional attitude and appearance
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have working knowledge of word processing software, spreadsheet software and be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience using graphic design software is preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary and essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around all areas of the facility; to stand for long hours; talk and hear; ability to travel by car of air. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision to handle contracts, other office correspondence, etc. This position may require work inside or outside of the building.
HOURS OF WORK AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
Irregular hours as events and functions may require and travel may be required.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Please visit our career site to apply:
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact- 1-800-428-9000
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.