Posted: Jul 3, 2018
POSITION: Sales Manager
DEPARTMENT: Sales, Marketing, and Convention Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Sales, Marketing and Convention Services
FLSA STATUS: Salaried Exempt
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for a Sales Manager for SMG PA Convention Center. The Sales Manager solicits and sells meeting space to assigned vertical market segments and other market segments; responsible for the attainment of short-term and long-term financial goals, strategies, plans and policies; maintains confidentiality of SMG/PCC client, vendor, and contractor information and data in full accordance with SMG/PCC handbook policy guidelines and any other Board of Director or upper management directives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prospects using various resources including, makes phone calls, sales calls, the internet and social networking, and creates and presents proposals.
- Meets or exceeds sales quota goals as established by the Vice President of Sales, Marketing & Convention Services.
- Performs sales calls and prospects new business.
- Inputs bookings and changes for the SMG/PCC and the Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Represents the SMG/PCC at local and national trade shows and events as well as other hospitality related functions.
- Handles pre-event correspondence and meetings.
- Negotiates and finalizes formal license agreements/ addendum. Processes signed contracts and deposits.
- Develops Sales and Marketing plans and strategies and preliminary departmental budgets.
- Conducts SMG/PCC& PCVB (Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau) site tours for existing and prospective clients.
- Oversees day to day administrative processes to qualify bookings, reports, utilizing EBMS.
- Handles Requests for Proposals (RFPs), which are developed into a proposal for the potential client.
- Participates in meetings to fine tune the needs of the client.
- Oversees various initiatives: FAM Tours, Sales Blitzs, Trade Shows, Flower Show Hospitality Events, silent auctions.
- Solicits new and repeat business through various methods, including through lead generators.
- Produces the aging report, showing tentative events pending for 30 days.
- Provides PCVB status reports for accounts that are outside the 18 month event window.
- Completes pre and post trip reports and prepares monthly marketing plan report.
- Provides miscellaneous Philadelphia vendor assistance- planner, resource for contact to provide outstanding customer service.
- Assists PCVB Partners with booking reservations, variance requests, and negotiations.
- Handles event cancellation.
- Ensures all activities and operations are performed in compliance with local, state and federal regulations and laws.
- Participates in the development of the corporation’s plans and programs as a strategic partner.
- Evaluates and advises on the impact of long-range planning and introduction of new programs/strategies/ marketing.
- Attends and participates in workshops, seminars, meetings, and other training programs to keep abreast of current practices.
- Accessible by electronic device of some kind (computer, phone, or some other personal device) 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, including holidays, in the event of an emergency situation impacting SMG/PCC.
- Performs related work as required by job assignment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Work Experience
- Minimum five (5) years hospitality experience in a sales or marketing function in a Convention Center, Visitor’s Bureau or Hotel environment
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to work irregular hours, days, weekends & holidays if required.
- Must be a bronze member of the Philadelphia Area Chapter of Meeting Professionals Internationals (PAMPI).
- Certification as a Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) is strongly encouraged.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the marketing principles necessary to promote a facility with the size and scope of the SMG/PCC.
- Ability to demonstrate effective oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to make direct presentations to groups;
- Excellent negotiation and customer service skills
- Excellent business judgment, willing to make timely decisions
- Ability to work with the Ungerboeck Event Management Software (EBMS) (after training)
- Excellent planning, organizing, and prioritizing work activities, using time efficiently and develop realistic action plans
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints
- Ability to multi-task effectively and efficiently
- Excellent leadership skills, inspiring and motivating others to perform at the highest level
- Must be a decisive individual who possesses a "big picture" perspective and is well versed in systems
- Must be energetic, forward-thinking, creative individual with high ethical standards
- Must portray an appropriate professional image
- Strong computer skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. To apply for this position please visit our career website:
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact- 1-800-428-9000SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.